Menu

Xaghra Scout Group

To view Xaghra Scouts Group Website – Click Here

The Xaghra Scout Group has been opened and closed several times in Xaghra.

In 1934…

The Xaghra Boys’ Scout Group was founded by Dr. Albert Laferla. Xaghra was one of the first Gozitan villages to have a Scout Group. They used a house in Shaft Street as their first premises and later used the court of the state school in Triq it-Tigrija, which today is private property. In 1934 the Victory Band was also formed by the same Scout Group.

The Xaghra Boys’ Scout Football Team

The Xaghra United Football team also originates from the Xaghra Scout Group. Actually at first it was registered under the Xaghra Boys’ Scout Group in the GFA tournaments.

Between 1970 and 1978

A new branch of the Scout Group was organized in our village through the initiative of Mr Vince Vella. Mr Joseph Camilleri acted as Group Scout Leader and Mr Carmel Agius as Cub Scout Leader.
The group consisted of about thirty members and used to meet regularly every Saturday afternoon in various premises, amongst which was the Youth Centre. The summer camp used to be organized in Marsalforn valley. Besides other local activities the group also took part in the annual traditional St. George’s Parade in Malta.

Today….

After 1 year of several meetings by a commitee, the Xaghra Scout Group has been founded again. It has started its first Cub Scouts meetings every Saturday.